Monday 23 May 2011

Fantasy Football Season 2010-11

Last weekend saw the end to the Premier League, and more importantly, the close of one of my favourite niche hobbies, Fantasy Football! I'm not what you'd call an avid football fan; if it wasn't for Fantasy Football, I'd probably struggle to name 5 current premiership players. But with a Fantasy Football team on the go, I now have a reason to be interested in Match of the Day. Man, I am in competition with people who actually support football teams!

This year was a tussle for second place in a local league I play with some of my Ultimate Frisbee buddies. First place was sewn up by the wizard Ben McFeeters. Someone clearly travelled back in time and gave him a sports almanac. 8,066th out of 2.4 million is to be reckoned with. So I was very happy to settle for a (not very close) second place.

In other leagues, I'm still on the old NI Water league, despite having not worked for them in a year. Came second there too. Came second in my own league for Facebook buddies as well. I set that one up so that I didn't have to compete with Ben, and then Kenny Nelson goes and beats me there in his stead! (Well done Kenny by the way!) Didn't manage to break the IFDA's top ten (out of 68 teams), but came close - in at 11th.

Lessons learned:
This year I had a terrible start, using the patented Chris Linter self-destruct method of >2 transfers a week at a cost of 4+ points a turn. I was very trigger happy, and spent way too much of my points where I should have just made do with the one sensible transfer a week. I was trying to find out how many transfers I made at the start, and found that the website only shows the last 50. This only takes me back to Gameweek 16. Looks like I've been making at least 2-3 transfers a week, and didn't seem to wise up until about Gameweek 30. That probably wasn't a great way to go about things. Total of 67 transfers.

I also discovered a new source of information to add to the Decision_Engine.xls spreadsheet that I have going. I certainly don't try and rely on my own meagre knowledge of football, and guesswork to pick a team. Top secret of course, don't want to give away my edge.

Now that it's over for the summer, I have a spare half an hour each week where I'm not crunching the stats through Excel *sniff*. I will miss it.

Final stats:
1962 points
144,737th out of 2,462,452 players (top 6%!)

No comments: